StudentFM Cancellation Policy
You may cancel your booking with us subject to the cancellation provisions detailed below.
A 14-day cancellation period is in place for all bookings where the student has not seen the accommodation in person.
For students who have booked less than 14 days prior to the commencement of the tenancy agreement, bookings may be cancelled up to the point of the start of the tenancy agreement.
For students wishing to cancel their booking after 14 days or having seen the accommodation, please note that the cancellation policy below for ‘Current Residents’ applies and you and your guarantor will be required to meet the obligations in the Tenancy Agreement.
Once you have taken up occupation of your accommodation you lose the right to cancel or be released from the Tenancy Agreement.
If you wish to be released from your Tenancy Agreement, then you must notify Student Facility Management in writing. Please note – you will still remain liable for the full contractual rent unless and until a replacement tenant is found for your accommodation. It is your responsibility to find an eligible replacement resident, although site staff will assist where possible.
‘First Year Guarantee’
Some of the accommodation managed by StudentFM offer a cancellation of the tenancy agreement for prospective first year students who fail to get a place at their chosen university or who surpass their predicted grades and choose to take a place at another university. If your chosen accommodation offers this guarantee, you will be required to provide:
- A rejection letter from their chosen university
- Where applicable, an acceptance letter from the new university
In circumstances where the student transfers to a university in a city where StudentFM operates an accommodation development, StudentFM reserve the right to offer the student a transfer of their tenancy from their original accommodation booking to the new accommodation at the same contract length and rate as the original booking. If this offer is made and refused, while the original contract will be cancelled, StudentFM will charge a cancellation fee.
Cancellation by Current Residents
Students living in the accommodation are bound by the terms of the tenancy agreement and liable for the rent for the length of their tenancy. A student may, however, be released from their tenancy if they meet the following criteria:
- The student finds a replacement tenant to take over their room
- The replacement tenant is an enrolled student and over the age of 18
- The replacement tenant agrees to take over the room for the full remainder of the original tenant’s term and for the same rental value
- The replacement tenant signs all necessary paperwork with StudentFM and agrees to all terms and conditions set out within the tenancy agreement
- The original student pays a £100 change of tenancy charge for early contract release.
- Following this, the resident will be formally released from all liabilities under the terms of the tenancy agreement and a refund of any advance rent paid will be processed within 14 working days.
Please note – all replacement tenants must be approved by the Accommodation Office. Any instances of subletting are against the terms of the tenancy agreement.
In addition, the landlord may also decide to release a tenant from their agreement for medical reasons. This will only be considered if the medical reasons prevent a student from continuing with their studies. The following should be provided to the Accommodation Office along with a written request for early termination of the tenancy:
- A signed letter from your doctor confirming their advice to end studies at university for health reasons.
- A signed letter from your university confirming that you have dropped out of university for health reasons.
Following this, the landlord will make a decision regarding releasing you from your obligations under the tenancy agreement. All decisions are made on a case by case basis.
There is no right of appeal following this decision.
Cancellations by StudentFM or The Landlord
Under the terms of the booking, students are required to sign their tenancy agreement within 14 days of the offer being made. Students who do not sign their agreement within this timeframe may have their booking cancelled and accommodation remarketed.
Where a rental payment is due in advance of the start of a tenancy, should a student fail to make this payment, their booking may be cancelled.
Where a student fails to check-in to the accommodation in accordance with the start of their tenancy and has not signed their tenancy agreement, their booking will be cancelled.
All requests for cancellations should be made in writing to the Accommodation Office of the chosen accommodation scheme. Contact details for all schemes can be found on our website.
Please note all changes or variations to your Tenancy Agreement will incur a charge. These include –
- Apartment/ Room changes as your contract will have to change to reflect as such.
- Length of tenancy agreement changes – either longer/ shorter.